Broadcom Acquires VMWare for $ 610 Billion Aiming to Expand Software Business
If you write the contents roughly
Broadcom will take over $ 80 billion in VMWare's net debt.
[Reuters] – US semiconductor giant Broadcom announced on the XNUMXth that it is a cloud computing business. → Continue reading
Wikipedia related words
If there is no explanation, there is no corresponding item on Wikipedia.
Broadcom(English: Broadcom Inc.) Manufactures and sells semiconductor products, software, etc. for wireless (wireless, broadband) and communication infrastructure.FablessCompany.BasedSingapore(Registered) andAmerica OfCaliforniaSan Jose.
Broadcom before it was acquired (Broadcom Corporation）
UCLAWas a professor ofHenry SamueliAnd its studentsBut in 1991CaliforniaLos AngelesFounded in. 1995, relocated headquarters to Irvine.. 1998,NASDAQListed on.It operates in more than 15 countries around the world and employs approximately 1.1 people in 2009.Fortune 500Ranked in.Broadcom hasARM CPUInstruction setKnown for designSophie WilsonThere is.
Current Broadcom (Broadcom Ltd.）
2016 year 2 month,Hewlett Packard,Agilent TechnologyOriginates from the semiconductor sector ofAvago TechnologiesThe acquisition by (Avago Technology) has been completed, and with the acquisition, Avago Technology has changed its name to "Broadcom" (Broadcom).Broadcom Ltd.(The former Broadcom ticker symbol "BRCM" has been delisted, and Avago Technology's ticker symbol "AVGO" continues).. November 2016, in the manufacture of communication equipmentBrocade Communications SystemsAnnounced the acquisition of.. July 2018, software development companyCA TechnologiesAnnounced acquisition and made it a subsidiary.
Also, in August 2019, a major antivirus software companySymantec107 billion corporate businessesDollarI bought it at, Five months later (January 5), the cyber security business of the aboveAccentureSold to.
Broadcom's products areComputer networkandCovers the whole.High-speed network for enterprises / cities,business centerProducts for networks,EthernetFor無線 LANSend / receive IC andMicroprocessor,Cable modem,DSL,server, Home network equipment (router,switchSuch),Mobile phone(GSM/GPRS/EDGE/W-CDMA) And so on.Also known as a high-speed crypto coprocessor.This is a chip that reduces the load on the main processor by performing encryption and decryption outside the processor.E-commerce,PGPOrGPGIt is useful for secure communication using.
Other IC products for telecommunications carriers,Set top boxAnd processors for digital video recorders,BluetoothTransmitter,無線 LANTransmitter,TV compatible with satellite broadcastingHe also works on tuners for the game.As a main customerApple,Hewlett Packard,Motorola,IBM,Dell,Lenovo,Linksys,Logitec,Nintendo,Nokia,Nortel(Avaya),Cisco Systems,TiboCan be mentioned. On September 2011, 9, the digital TV chip division was abolished..
NIC and network
BroadcomNICIs used in workstation and server products from major vendors.Even if the Ethernet NIC is built into the motherboard, it is often named Broadcom for marketing purposes.For example, the Dell Blade Switch M610 has two Gigabit NetXtreme 2 NICs built-in..
Another big market is switch hardware.Switching systems based on Broadcom hardware and firmware are available from several vendors (eg Dell Powerconnect classics) and are developing their own firmware while using Broadcom hardware (Trident chipset). In some cases (for example, Cisco's Nexus NX-OS)And dell Force10 FTOS).
Consumer component design
Broadcom also supplies a number of parts for well-known consumer devices.
- Apple iPhone With 3GS iPod The second generation of touch uses Broadcom's Wifi + Bluetooth combo chip.
- Second quarter of 2005,NintendoAnnounced a strategic alliance with a corporation.The company said it will provide wireless LAN technology to Nintendo's next-generation game consoles.Specifically, on May 2006, 5, Nintendo's game consoleWiiHas announced that Broadcom's Bluetooth and wireless LAN have been adopted.Nintendo DSWireless LAN is also provided by Broadcom.
Relationship with AMD
February 2001, 2, BroadcomAMDDeveloped byHyperTransportJoined the HyperTransport Technology Consortium on July 7, the same year. In June 14, we announced a partnership with AMD in the chipset field, and on April 2004, 6, AMD K2005 (under the ServerWorks brand)Opteron) Chipset "HT-2000" was announced, AMD K2006 chipset HT-8 was announced on August 15, 8, and mass production shipment started in October of the same year.
On August 2008, 8, AMD acquired the digital television business for $ 25 million (initially announced at $ 1 million).Acquired manufacturing rights for the panel processor Xilleon.
January 2019SymantecWas acquired.In Japan, we are developing endpoint security products, email security, and WEB security gateways.Broadcom's software business currently accounts for about 2022% of total sales, but continues to expand investment in the enterprise software business with the goal of 5%. In May XNUMX, we will be the best in the world in the virtualization market.VMwareAnnounced the acquisition of. VMware acquired Carbon Black, which holds a global market share in EDR (Endpoint Detection and Response) in 2019, and is expected to make major changes toward the realization of zero trusts and SASE.
- Semiconductor Manufacturing Corporation (TSMC,Taiwan)
- GLOBALFOUNDRIES(Former: Chartered Semiconductor Manufacturing) (Germany, Singapore)
- Semiconductor Manufacturing International Corporation (SMIC)(China)
- Silterra Malaysia Sdn. Bhd. (Malaysia)
- United Microelectronics Corporation(UMC / Taiwan)
Equipment assembly is left to the following partners.
- ASAT Ltd (Hong Kong)
- ST Assembly Test Services (Singapore)
- Siliconware Precision
- United Test and Assembly Center (Singapore)
- ChipPac and Signetics (Korea)
Headquartered in California since 2007Irvine OfUniversity of California IrvineLocated in the University Research Park on campus.R & D baseCambridge(England),Bangaloreas well as the Hyderabad(India),Richmond(Near Vancouver, Canada),Markham(Near Toronto, Canada), Sophia Antipolis(France) etc.
Broadcom and open source
For Broadcom wireless LAN chipsOpen SourceSome driversLinux kernelIncluded in the source tree of.. Since Linux kernel 2.6.26, some Broadcom chips are supported by the kernel, but require external firmware at build time.
In 2003, Broadcom used the GPL code for its wireless LAN router chipset driver but did not publish the code.GNU General Public License As violatingFree Software FoundationBlame Broadcom.That chipsetLinksysAdopted, Linksys laterCiscoWas acquired by.Cisco then released the source code for the Linksys WRT54G series wireless broadband router firmware..
- BroadVoice 16 --Bit rate 16 kbit / s, sampling frequency 8 kHz
- BroadVoice 32 --Bit rate 32 kbit / s, sampling frequency 16 kHz (however, the X-Lite SIP phone menu says bit rate 80000 bit / s)
Stock options issues
February 2006, 7, Broadcomstock optionAnnounced an additional $ 7 million in costs to correct the processing. On September 5000, 2006, the amount doubled to $ 9 billion.In addition, the company will be subject to additional tax... On January 2007, 1, the amount to be accounted for between 24 and 1998 increased to $ 2005 billion..
August 2008, 5,Securities and Exchange CommissionAfter being named in a motion to the (SEC), Samueli resigned from his post as chairman and took a leave of absence as CTO.
June 2008, 6, co-founder and former CEOAnd former CFO William Ruehle were charged with fraudulent date tampering with stock options.Nicholas has also been charged with violating the Narcotics Control Act..But in December 2009, a federal judge alleged that prosecutors improperly blocked the testimony of three defense witnesses.Rejected accusations of date tampering with stock options.
Trial with Qualcomm
In June 2007, BroadcomSan DiegoSemiconductor company headquartered inQualcommSued for infringing the company's patent,United States International Trade CommissionOrdered a ban on imports of mobile phones equipped with Qualcomm chips.Broadcom had also sued the matter in court, but on April 2009, 4, the four-year court battle ended...As a condition of the settlement, Qualcomm will pay Broadcom $ 2013 million in cash by April 4.
In September 2011, Broadcom acquired NetLogic Microsystems for $ 9 billion in cash, exchanging $ 37 million of its own shares of NetLogic employees for Broadcom shares..
Broadcom has also acquired a number of other companies, thereby quickly entering new markets..
It was acquired by Avago Technologies in February 2016, but the company name was adopted by the acquired side, "Broadcom", and it has announced the acquisition of Brocade Communications Systems thereafter.
Including GIN in 2019SymantecBroadcom acquires the corporate business of.
2022 year 5 month,VMware Was acquired for about $ 610 billion.
|season||Company name||Acquisition amount||Expertise|
|March 1999||Maverick Networks||$ 1 million (stocks)||Multi-layer switch for corporate networks|
|March 1999||Epigram||$ 3 million (stocks)||Using the telephone lineHomePNA|
|March 1999||Armedia Inc.||$ 6720 million (stock)||Digital video decoder|
|March 1999||HotHaus Technologies||$ 2 million (stocks)||VoIPuseDSPsoftware|
|March 1999||Altocom||$ 1 million (stocks)||Soft modem|
|March 2000||BlueSteel Networks||$ 1 million (stocks)||Security processor|
|March 2000||Digital Furnace Corp||$ 1 million (stocks)||Data compression software|
|March 2000||Stellar Semiconductor||$ 1 million (stocks)||3D graphics processor|
|March 2000||Pivotal Technologies||$ 2 million (stocks)||Digital video chip|
|March 2000||Innovent Systems||$ 5 million (stock)||Bluetooth communication device|
|March 2000||Puyallup Integrated Circuit Company||IC design and IC macroblock|
|March 2000||Altima Communications||$ 5 million (stocks)||Network chip|
|March 2000||Newport Communications||$ 12 million (stocks)||10Gbit Ethernet communicator|
|March 2000||Silicon Spice||$ 10 million (stock)||VoIPuseDSPチップ|
|March 2000||14 element||$ 5 million (stocks)||DSLChipset|
|March 2000||Allayer Communications||$ 2 million (stocks)||Enterprise and optical network chips|
|March 2000||Sibyte||$ 20 million (stock)||Microprocessor for blow band|
|March 2001||VisionTech, Ltd.||$ 7 million (stocks)||MPEG-2 compression / decompression|
|March 2001||ServerWorks Corp.||$ 10 million (stocks)||I / O controller for server / workstation|
|March 2001||PortaTec Corporation||Portable device|
|March 2001||Kimalink||Wireless / portable chip|
|March 2002||Mobilink Telecom, Inc.||$ 560 million (stock)||Baseband processor for mobile phones|
|March 2003||Gadzoox Networks||$ 580 million (cash)||SAN|
|March 2004||RAIDCore, Inc.||$ 1650 million (cash)||RAIDsoftware|
|March 2004||M-Stream Inc.||$ 870 million (cash) and 27000 shares||Improved technology for wireless reception|
|March 2004||Sand Video, Inc.||$ 7750 million (stocks) and $ 740 million (cash)||Video compression technology|
|March 2004||WIDCOMM, Inc.||$ 4900 million (cash)||Bluetooth related software|
|March 2004||Zyray Wireless, Inc.||$ 9600 million (stock)||Baseband processor for WCDMA|
|March 2004||Alphamosaic, Ltd.||$ 1 million (stocks)||Video processor for mobile services|
|March 2005||Alliant Networks, Inc.||Mobile network gateway|
|March 2005||Zeevo, Inc.||$ 2640 million (cash) and $ 260 million (stocks)||Bluetoothheadset|
|March 2005||Siliquent Technologies, Inc.||$ 7600 million (cash)||10Gbit Ethernet controller|
|March 2005||Athena Semiconductors, Inc.||$ 2160 million (cash)||Digital TV tuner and Wifi|
|March 2006||Sandburst Corporation||$ 7500 million (cash) and $ 500 million (stocks)||SOC chip for Ethernet packet switching|
|March 2006||LVL7 Systems, Inc.||$ 6200 million (cash)||Network software|
|March 2007||Octalica, Inc.||$ 3100 million (cash)||MoCA (Home Network with Coaxial Cable)|
|March 2007||Global Locate, Inc.||$ 1 million (cash)||GPS chip and software|
|March 2008||Sunext Design, Inc.||$ 4800 million (cash)||Optical disk drive|
|March 2008||AMD DTV processor division||$ 1 million (cash, initially offered $ 4150 million)||DTV processor chip and software, and TV tuner using it|
|March 2009||Dune Networks||$ 1 million (cash)||High speed network switch|
|March 2010||Teknovus||$ 1 million (cash)||Ethernet PON (EPON) Chipsets and Software|
|March 2010||Innovision Research & Technology plc||$ 4750 million (cash)||Short-range wireless communicationAnd IP|
|March 2010||Beceem Communications||$ 3 million (cash)||4G LTE / WiMax|
|March 2010||Gigle Networks ||$ 7500 million (cash)||Home multimedia network|
|March 2011||Provigent Ltd.||$ 3 million (cash)||Microwave backhaul|
|March 2011||SC Square Ltd.||$ 4190 million (cash)||Israeli security software company|
|March 2011||NetLogic Microsystems||$ 37 million||Next-generation Internet network products|
|March 2022||VMware Inc.||$ 610 million||IT infrastructure virtualization|
- ^ Kotkin, Joel (January 1999, 1). “Grass Roots Business; A Place To Please The Techies --New York Times”. The new york times 2008/4/25Browse.
- ^ "Broadcom Limited: Avago acquisition of Irvine semiconductor firm complete”(English). OCRegister (February 2016, 2). 2016/10/30Browse.
- ^ "US semiconductor Broadcom acquires US telecommunications equipment Brocade 6000 billion yen”. Nihon Keizai Shimbun (May 2016, 11). 2016/11/3Browse.
- ^ "Broadcom agrees to acquire CA Technologies-over XNUMX trillion yen in cash”. Bloomberg (June 2018, 7). 2018/12/2Browse.
- ^ "Broadcom Inc. Acquires Symantec Corporate Business for 1 Trillion Yen". Nihon Keizai Shimbun(July 2019, 8) 2020/3/30Browse.
- ^ “Accenture Acquires Symantec's Cybersecurity Services Business from Broadcom”. Cloud Watch. (January 2020, 1) 2020/3/30Browse.
- ^ Junko Yoshida (September 2011, 9). “Broadcom closes DTV, Blu-ray chip businesses”. EE Times. As of October 2011, 10original[Broken link]More archives.2011/10/4Browse.
- ^ Technical specs on the Dell PowerEdge M610, visited 27 Januari, 2012
- ^ Cisco rolls out Nexus 3000, visited 28 January, 2012
- ^ The Register on Force10 cranks Ethernet switches to 40 Gigabits, 23 April, 2011; visited 28 January, 2012
- ^ b43 Sipsolutions.net, Linux Wireless
- ^ "Linksys routers caught up in open source dispute". TechTarget (September 2003, 10). 2012/3/14Browse.
- ^ “Linux's Hit Men”. Forbes 2012/1/28Browse.
- ^ "Broadcom offers LGPL Voice Codecs". 2012/3/14Browse.
- ^ "Broadcom's Options Bombshell". BusinessWeek (February 2006, 9). As of February 9, 2007original[Broken link]More archives.2008/5/20Browse.
- ^ "A $ 2.2 Billion Charge at Broadcom”(May 2007, 1). 2012/2/15Browse.
- ^ "Drugs, hookers and cranked customers: Ex-Broadcom boss indicted". The Register (September 2008, 6). 2008/6/6Browse.
- ^ Flaccus, Gillian (December 2009, 12). “Broadcom backdating case dismissed". Associated Press by San Francisco Chronicle. 2012/3/15Browse.
- ^ Jones, Ashby (April 2009, 4). “All Quiet on the Western Front: Broadcom, Qualcomm Reach $ 891M Deal”. The Wall Street Journal 2011/8/6Browse.
- ^ "Broadcom buys NetLogic for $ 3.7bn". 2011/9/12Browse.
- ^ "Strategic Acquisitions”. Broadcom. As of April 2015, 4original[Broken link]More archives.2013/3/14Browse.
- ^ "Broadcom Acquires Armedia, Maker of Digital Video Decoders". 2012/3/14Browse.
- ^ "Broadcom Completes Acquisition of Digital TV Business from AMD". 2012/3/14Browse.
- ^ "Broadcom to buy Dune Networks for cloud switches". 2012/3/14Browse.
- ^ "Broadcom to acquire Teknovus". 2012/3/14Browse.
- ^ "Broadcom to enter NFC market, buys Innovision for $ 47.5m". 2012/3/14Browse.
- ^ "Broadcom Corporation to Acquire Beceem Communications Inc., a Leader in 4G Wireless”. Broadcom.com. 2012/3/14Browse.
- ^ "Broadcom Corporation to Acquire Gigle Networks Inc.”. Broadcom.com. 2012/3/14Browse.
- ^ "Broadcom Completes Acquisition of Provigent”. Broadcom.com. 2012/3/14Browse.
- ^ "Broadcom Completes Acquisition of SC Square Ltd.". 2012/3/14Browse.